Reverend H.T. Cowley
The 1st Public School in Spokane
Reverend H.T. Cowley, a missionary, was responsible for opening the first public school in Spokane in January of 1875. The school and his home were built in a small park between West 6 just off of Division. Cowley Park is listed on the National Register of Historical Places.
Cowley was probably best known for the relationship that he built with the Spokane Tribe. He allowed the Native American children to attend his school while waiting for a separate school to be constructed for the tribe’s children.
The first Congregational Church – The first Protestant Church of Spokane was also organized by Rev. H.T. Cowley. The first service was held in his home on May 22, 1879.